Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Brain Dead

Yes I'm still around, I've just not had anything worth writing about lately. That's not to say I've been a vegetable (brain dead) for the last week, but I just haven't had much inspiration.

Something I may touch on in an upcoming post would be my thoughts regarding the emerging church. Honestly, I don't know yet how I feel about this movement. I've certainly heard plenty of critics out there who I generally tend to agree with. I guess at the heart of the matter is "How can a church/movement be postmodern and Christian?" If we set these up as ideologies, then as I far as I understand them, they are fairly well incompatible. Yes, there can certainly be similarities in their practices, but I don't know yet how they could doctrinally co-exist. Food for thought, and as I chew on it (and hopefully understand it) more, maybe I'll be able to post something that is fairly coherent regarding this movement.

5 comments:

Ben said...

The new design is SWEET.

A good book on the subject of the Emerging Church is "Listening to the Beliefs of the Emerging Church". There are several authors, each writes a chapter, and each author writes a counterpoint to each chapter. It's excellent.

Some of the people in the book I agree with completely. Others made my ears turn red and steam came out my nose. But, all in all it's a good overview of what these guys actually believe about scripture, Jesus, the church, etc.

Reed Thomas said...

I personally find that postmodernism has much more in common with Christianity than modernity ever did. However, the terms "Postmodernism, Modernity, Christianity" all have widely variant meanings and we should probably come to some consensus prior to further "conversation" on these matters. But that would be a truly worthwhile endeavor to be sure! Cheers mates.

Kim's Hotrod said...

Thanks for the compliment Ben. I'll keep an eye out for that book.

____________

Reed wrote:

"I personally find that postmodernism has much more in common with Christianity than modernity ever did."

Care to elaborate? Or is that akin to the opening of a certain box?

Terry said...

I have just begun a book by Henry Knight called "A Future For Truth: Evangelical Theology in a Postmodern World". I am wondering if C.S. Lewis could understand all that he is saying. I will let you know.

However, one of the issues that is on the front burner for me concerns not entirely how we "do" church but how we use the time inside as it pertains to "preaching".

The Emergent group seems to feel abductive methods (Garrison Keillor’s Lake Woebegone monologues, Jesus’ parables) are needed rather than what is known as propositional methods such as the following defined for us.


“Speaching” means the “speacher” determines in advance the
meaning of the text (the proposition, known only to the expert,
or speacher) and the application to the hearers, none of whom
have any input into the proceedings.
“When we speach, we provide one view, one understanding,
one piece of the story. . . when we create neat, three-point
packages to explain away the mysteries of God’s work and
leave no room for our hearers to ask their questions or express
their thoughts, we send a clear message that God can be
mastered.”

seminary.cbs.edu/content/events/nlc/2005/papers/HARBINgs.pdf

How many times have you left your church meeting and by 2 o'clock in the afternoon can't remember what the sermon was about.

Anyway...this is one area of interest we can talk about.

Terry said...

I am breaking up the URL into two lines because it didn't appear correct in the comment section.

seminary.cbs.edu/
content/events/nlc/2005/papers/HARBINgs.pdf