Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Your Calling

Have you ever felt guilty when you read the words in Matthew 28, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" and realize that you're sitting here in the good ole US of A enjoying your three bedroom home and the challenges of life here in the States? Do you ever wonder if you are being disobedient because you've read the word "Go" and you're still here? My hand is up in the air. But if you will indulge me for a moment, I want to raise a question. This may be very controversial to some of you and possibly offensive to others. I recently took an inductive Bible study course which instructs us to read the Word to see what it says. Investigate into what the passage means, not through tangential interpretations, but rather through the intentions of the original author(s), uncovering the facts that are plainly written in the Scriptures.

My question is this: Is it possible that the great commission wasn't given as a directive to ALL believers? Or possibly that we have misinterpreted it to mean that we must go somewhere to fulfill the commission?

In reading Matthew 28:16-20, we see that Jesus is speaking to the remaining 11 disciples. He had already appeared to the disciples and others, but he directed only the 11 to meet Him on the mountaintop. And he gave them their instructions to go, make, baptize, and instruct. The 11 disciples were the original apostles, the ones charged with the awesome task of spreading the Gospel from the centralized Jewish peoples into all the world. Remember that in those days the gospel was known only to those in that region. Today it has reached most (but certainly not all) of the world. The disciples HAD to go if the gospel would move beyond Jerusalem, Gallilee and the area. The disciples were apostles, who by definition are called to go and plant churches in regions previously unreached and to see those churches grow into maturity. In 1 Cor. 12, we read that God has directed some to be apostles, some prophets, some teachers and so on. Paul then asks, "Are all apostles?..." The answer is implied by the style of writing (rhetoric) - NO. In realizing that God has not called all of us to be apostles, we can then look at Matt. 28 in a different light. That God's command to go was meant #1 for those 11 disciples and #2 those who were subsequently called to be apostles.

Let's say your gift is that of administration. Then your gift is probably best served within the local body. Therefore are you being disobedient because you haven't gone to the ends of the earth to preach the gospel? We already live in the ends of the earth. The West hadn't even been discovered when any part of the Bible had been written.

I no longer want to live being persuaded by guilt to do something that I haven't been called to do or to be. There are evangelists and apostles whom I've met who can't understand why people wouldn't want to leave their homes and go to a strange land to preach the gospel. Using the body analogy, how could a foot possibly tell a lung how to be a lung? Can you imagine a foot saying to a lung "Why wouldn't you want to walk in the dust or get covered with mud or carry the weight of the entire body?" A lung couldn't possibly do any of that. All a foot knows is how to be a foot.

Some of us may not be called to preach to people, or to teach them. But we are all called to live lives that are transparent enough to let people see that through the broken and cracked exterior of ourselves, there is a living God dwelling in our hearts. We do that by loving each other, serving each other and being ready to give a reason, in season and out, for the hope that lies within us.

Maybe I'm wrong concerning the Great Commission and if I am, then I hope that #1 God reveals it to me and #2 those of you who are spiritual would restore me gently. I'm a common man trying to live an uncommon life for God, using the leading of the Spirit and the Word and not the misguided attempts of those trying to guilt (control) someone into a life not meant for them.

Any thoughts?

10 comments:

John F said...

#1 Dude you are not crazy. Our Pastor is doing a series called "The Twelve" In it he is highlighting how Christ poured himself into those men and that what they were supposed to do was the same thing with others around them. Remember Paul said follow me as I follow Christ. He was setting an example for others to model. Something real and tangible that a person new to the faith can get a hold of. I don't believe you are off on this one. I think when it is talking about going into the nations that it could actually mean "the nations" or maybe just maybe it could be also referring to your sphere of influence. You know, those pesky unsaved neighbors who need to see Christ's love in us. Or maybe our co workers. Just a thought. Good Word... APASCO RULES!

Jan said...

You have to say it like this... "VIVA APASCO!" that's truly Mexican.. .ha ha

Real Life Sarah said...

This is so apt, Rodney! I have just recently asked God to help me accomplish His purpose where I am instead of asking where I am supposed to go. If He calls me to go, I will, but why wait? Who says teaching my children is not going to affect the nations? Or are there not thousands of lost souls right here in my county? The ego in me wants to have a grand adventure in a foreign country, seeing huge miracles and thousands come to Christ in one night. But the fact is, there is just as much joy in Heaven over a 4 year old who receives Jesus in her bedtime prayers!

Reed Thomas said...

Ok all you Boonies. Remember the bumper sticker "Bloom where you're planted" that was so popular a few (ok, maybe more) years back? There is a lot of wisdom in that phrase. We will all have to look into the eyes of God and answer for how we lived. Personally, I think God will ask me "Did you dance?" the implication being did my life flow with the rythms of Grace as He and I journeyed together. Did I follow his "lead". I might also take a bit of liberty with with Rodney's text from 1 Corinthians 12. If he (God) has directed some to be apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, and evangelists to prepare God's people for works of service. What about the rest of God's people they are supposed to prepare? All the non apostle, prophet, pastor, teacher, evangeilst types? Could all the rest not be called to be bank tellers, cooks, police officers, corporate executives, doctors, construction workers (Aposco Administrators), managers, politicians, etc, etc, etc.? The point is, the text only charges them to prepare God's people, the people are the ones with the impliciation of doing all the work. The work of being reflections of Christ to everyone around them. My dance floor is really big and there are lots of folks around me every day who have the same spiritual needs as anyone else anywhere on the planet. I think I will Dance here while the music is playing. If it changes, I'll let you know.

Kim's Hotrod said...

Glad to hear all of your comments on this.

Reed, I don't write my articles directed towards anyone, but as I wrote this one, I thought "I hope Reed reads and responds to this". Not because I thought you needed to hear it, but because I knew you would have something constructive to say on the matter.

I suppose one argument against what you are saying regarding 1 Cor. 12 in the callings of God's people is that perhaps the position of apostle, teacher, administrator, etc... was never meant as a vocation. The callings you listed (bank teller, cooks, etc) were vocational. Therefore, a person could be an apostle AND be a bank teller, or a teacher AND a butcher - this was certainly Paul's model. But, I also wonder if what was listed in 1 Cor. 12 was ever intended as an exhaustive list of the possibilities of callings. I feel that I am called to be on the worship team and by doing so that I am fulfilling God's calling on me "for the now", but I don't see that listed in the chapter. Or another question, "were they meant as callings within the body of Christ worldwide, or rather within the body of Christ in Corinth?"

Reed Thomas said...

Rodney, you warm my heart! The three things to consider when studying a text are 1. context 2. Context and 3. CONTEXT. So often people take a passage aimed at a specific issue within the church the letter was sent to and make it a blanket dogma applicable to everyone. One of the classics is where Paul exhorts women to keep silent in church. Contextually, he is addressing a disruptive issue within that specific body of believers at that time, in that culture. However, we all have seen how that one has been twisted over time. This deserves more time than I have right now, so I'll have to post more later. Keep asking questions bro!

Reed Thomas said...

Rodney I agree that the 5 (APPTE - sounds suspiciously like a Boone driving range) are not necessarily vocational. There certainly is a scriptual precedent for both. Nor do I think the text suggests that it is an exaustive gift list. There are several others found elsewhere in scripture.

The notion of calling has been narrowly viewed in western evangelicalism to mean full time ministry. I cannot count how many people I talked out of seminary during my campus ministry days. They felt the only way to "serve God" was to be in full time work. It still makes me a little crazy to think about it. Calling comes down to 2 words. "Follow me" now where He leads after that is His business. No matter where He leads, it is still full time. You don't get days off from following Christ. Calling is to a journey, a relationship not merely an "office" or "vocation" or "position". By defining it to something we "do" we miss the larger vision of what Christ has in mind - being with Him.

As far as the "do"ing part of calling. Paul has a lovely tirade to the Corinthians about this and utilizes the parts of the body for his illustration. Are all eyes? No. Are all ears? No. Are all feet? No. etc. The point is we all have a part to play, but it is in His design. All we have to do is stay in step with the effortless rythms of grace (Matt 11:28 Message) and dance as we respond to His "follow me"

The great commission gets treated most unfairly. "You will be my witnesses in Judea, Samaria and unto the ends of the earth." They started close to home, where they were, and went out as He led them to various places. "Follow me" Granted, we are to preach the gospel to all nations. That happens to include the one where we live. People also use this as an excuse for not going, but the issue is are you answering the call "Follow me".

Ben said...

Right on, Rodney! If all the passionate, zealous Christians left the workplace for "full time" ministry what would happen to the workplace? It's a silly notion that somehow worked it's way into our churches.

Can't a guy be a full time Christian working for IBM? And isn't the guy working at IBM the most qualified to minister to other unchurched IBM employees?

I know it's bad form to post links to your own blog on someone elses', but I don't know where else you can find this. I posted an mp3 of a talk by Chuck Ripka not too long ago. He gives his testimony of how God turned his small town bank into the spiritual center of the city. All while doing nothing but being a good banker and a real Christian.

You guys should check it out, and then come right back to Rodney's blog... It's a great case in point.

Chuck Ripka's Story

Kim's Hotrod said...

Ben,
You're welcome to post links anytime. I'll check that one out soon. Glad to have your comments here.

Reed,
I'm getting to your comment, just give me some time.

Kim's Hotrod said...

I've thoroughly enjoyed everyone's comments so far in this. I think my original question and intent has been avoided (maybe not). I'm calling into question whether or not we have interpreted the Great Commission correctly, especially considering it was not even included in the most reliable manuscripts. Obviously, God thought it was important enough to include it however (2 Tim. 3:16). I think the most accurate interpretation of Matt. 28:16-20 is that the Great Commission was given first and foremost to these 11 disciples/apostles. That's the one that is the easiest to proclaim because it's what's plainly written in Scripture. At what point, did we begin to assume that this assignment was given as a directive to ALL believers and why? Certainly we must all make personal application of Scripture to our own lives. Does it do the Scripture and the original author justice to assume that we can extrapolate this command to include ALL believers when there is really no CLEARLY defined example in this passage.

Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying that God doesn't call many of our contemporaries into global missionary action. But I know I've felt the guilt that accompanies any message that directs me to live out the Great Commission when I personally haven't felt the call (yet) to be a pastor, teacher or apostle. Again, I'm not saying that we should not be witnesses for Christ where we live, because certainly we should. Or that you must be a pastor, teacher, apostle to be able to minister "to the ends of the earth". Have we wrongly (but with the best intentions) assigned an interpretation to this passage that was not the ORIGINAL intent?