Thursday, August 16, 2007

Live The Life

Talk about a writer's block. I've really struggled with finding something to talk about lately. Plus things have been abnormal here at the Morris household with all the visitors we've had recently.

Ben has a good post at his blog regarding living our lives in reflection of who Christ is and how we've defined Him in our own lives. This is certainly something all of us struggle with, though we may not be aware of it. I originally was going to post this as a comment on Ben's site but decided it might be better presented as a post here.

Those of us who grew up in church have defined God by what we were taught as kids - rightly or wrongly. I know I have my own kryptonite baggage that wants to say God is disappointed in me, because I still struggle with sin. Growing up in a church that sort of indirectly taught that salvation was conditional upon your continued walk left me very frightened as a young man. I used to lay in bed as a boy feeling terrified (and I'm not sure that's strong enough) that I might not end up in heaven if I were to die. I've since come to grips with grace and faith. Unfortunately though, I tend to swing more apathetic towards my relationship with Christ. A little greasy grace to go on those faith fries.

I'm a people pleaser so I want to do the things that make people like me. It worked well for me as a young man - I was voted "Best Personality" in high school by being a friendly chameleon. I adapt well to situations and will often change my behavior to match the group dynamics to gain acceptance. However, I also have a tendency to resort to giving up if I feel like I've failed people too much. Now transpose this mind-set to a life a faith and you begin to see the quandry that many of us, I'm sure, find ourselves in. We try to make God like us by the things we do - which is impossible. He does not love us any more or any less based on our actions. Pleasing Him one day, disappointing Him the next - it's an emotional roller coaster that we needlessly ride. Our actions will one day be judged, no doubt. What exactly that will entail remains to be seen. But I'm coming to question whether I can please God by what I do - and that's difficult for me. A people pleaser who can't please?!? This blows my whole life plan out of the water.

Bible study and prayer have always been areas of my life that have been undisciplined. Continuing failures in these areas have worn down my resolve to want to keep trying some days. Why continue if I know the ending?

I DON'T know the ending and that's the whole point. These failures don't define me and they don't cause God to be disappointed in me. So everyday I should resolve to live better than the day before. To learn more about a God who is passionately in love with me and will continue to pursue me when I lose my way. To love my wife tirelessly and teach my kids the way they should go. I can't worry with pleasing Him by my actions.

One day I hope to get this thing called faith right. I hope I have it figured out before it's too late.

5 comments:

Real Life Sarah said...

I can totally relate to you, Rodney!

Real Life Sarah said...

"A people pleaser who can't please?!? This blows my whole life plan out of the water."

I meant to highlight this statement.

Kevin Thomasson said...

I love the topic of grace thus probably abuse the grace that is and will be afforded to us. I love a story I read in a Christian publication a few years back. The article was about a real pastor that found out he had advanced stages of cancer. He was very young with children and a loving wife. The doctors after much deliberation told him it would be best to enjoy the remaining time he had with his family instead of going through treatment that would fail in the end.
He went before his congregation with a message of grace. The paraphased gist: He said, " I am about to experience grace. Grace, true grace is when you know that you have not pleased God in each area of you life and you are going to face him very soon." He goes on to list his many common sins of anger, impatience, thinking bad thoughts, being a slack father in some areas, on and on. Then he said I will have to go before God like this because I have no time to change.
Good post brother.

katie.rowland said...

hey rodney! it's katie rowland! guess where i work now...(drum roll please) OCC!!! i'm a media intern, working on press releases and stuff, so i'm w/the OCC Comm gals. fun stuff!!! anyways tell kim and the girls i said hello...

Kim's Hotrod said...

Katie!!

Welcome to my little corner of the blogosphere. Sometimes it's interesting - othertimes, well, not so much. Glad to have you here.

That's great that you are working with OCC. I hope you get a chance to go on some trips with them overseas. You would love it. It's been nearly six years now since I quit SP - that's hard to believe. I'm not sure I would know most of the people in OCC now.