Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Motherhood, Cooking and other things I know nothing about

I was responding to a post today on Ben and Heather's blog and I made a comment about Heather posting about motherhood, cooking, etc. and I thought that would make a nice blog title. So...

Motherhood. And in particular, childbirth. No man knows squat about childbirth. Yes I was there when my kids were born, but I still don't know that much about it. Except that I should have gotten some hot water and towels. Funny how in all the old movies when someone is having a baby, the person in charge of the delivery always tells somebody to go get some hot water and towels. I think that men in those days had no idea what went on in the delivery room (they weren't allowed in the delivery room back then) so male script writers just made up stuff for the movies. "Get me some hot water and towels". Why? Maybe so that the poor sap who is retrieving said items might clumsily trip and fall in the room, spilling boiling water onto the pregnant lady, thereby causing her to scream and push harder and thusly expediting the birthing process. The towels are to wipe up the spilled water from the floor. Good thing I wasn't the script writer. I would have written "Go get me some oatmeal and rubber bands!"

Cooking. I don't know. Pop tarts are easy to fix. So are hot dogs. "Here kids, eat a banana!" I really hope nothing ever happens to Kim, because my kids would end up eating string cheese and marshmallows for dinner.

Other things I know little about: sewing, the stock market, making the bed, washing clothes, rebuilding a motor, hat making and the history of Liberia.

I'll try to post about things I DO know about in the future.

3 comments:

Heather said...

That's a great list, Rodney! Maybe part of the change you are talking about in 2008 involves some of these :) I'm sure Kim would just LOVE that...

Ben said...

I don't know much about: sports, fashion, female hormones and the resulting personality changes, gardening (unless you need something killed), card tricks, or braiding hair.

Kim's Hotrod said...

Heather wrote: Maybe part of the change you are talking about in 2008 involves some of these :) I'm sure Kim would just LOVE that...

Yeah Kim has been secretly wishing I would make her a fedora for some time now. I'm SURE that's what she's thinking when she looks at me like that.

Ben wrote: I don't know much about: ...female hormones and the resulting personality changes...

Me either, but I'm getting a crash course.

and ...or braiding hair.

Kasey could braid her own hair better than I could by the time she was 4 years old.