Sunday, January 27, 2008

Did I Miss Something?



A couple of years ago, I took a trip with Samaritan's Purse to Ukraine. We were documenting some OCC distributions there at the time. It was a fun time - extremely cold, but fun. At any rate, I had a very interesting, and confusing, experience.

The girl you see pictured with me was a young girl in the town of Simferopol. She lived at a school for kids with speech problems. Approximately 50% of the students there are orphans. Some nationals in Simferopol had organized an OCC distribution to these children. It was during this distribution that I saw her. The moment our eyes met, I melted. There was something in the way she looked at me that made me think "I have to get her out of here". We continued to do our filming there and I had little time to spend with her or find out about her situation. I did manage to grab a still photographer and have him snap this picture. I also spoke to the director of the school before we left and got some contact information so I could follow up when I got back to the states. When we left the school/orphanage, I cried because I couldn't take this girl with me. Now remember, I had been traveling the world for about 8 years by that point, and had seen thousands of orphans but had never had this happen - ever!

So when I got back to the hotel that night, I called Kim and told her what happened. I had not gone on that trip or any other before or since to look for a child to adopt. In fact, I had never given adoption any real thought before, but there I was on the phone telling Kim, from half a world away, that I wanted to adopt this girl right then. Kim's response - "Let's do it!" There was no hesitation on her part. A few days later we left Simferopol and traveled back to Kiev where we stayed with some nationals. I told them my story, and they assured me that they would help us when the time came to make the necessary arrangements. Things were moving very quickly for me at this point and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed.

On my flight back to the States, I had a middle seat. As I sat there waiting for the window seat passenger to board, I thought of all that had happened and was looking forward to a nice relaxing flight home. Then the passenger arrived - a woman carrying a young child. "Great" I thought, "this kid is going to scream the entire flight". Well the lady sat down in the seat next to me and eventually we began to make some small talk. Turns out, she had just adopted the child she was holding and was returning home. "OK God, you have my attention" I thought to myself as she and I talked about the adoption process.

After returning to Sarasota, I realized that there was a Ukrainian church meeting in our church building on Sunday nights. I eventually was in a Bible study class with many of the members of this church. It sure seemed that we were quickly on our way to having a third child in the house.

Using the contacts that I had gathered in Ukraine, I began the process of trying to determine the status of this girl. I emailed several people, including the school director. A week went by - nothing. A month later - no answer. We had been researching on the internet as well about the adoption process for Ukraine. After a few months, the country halted all adoptions to Americans. Completely. Talk about disappointing. It seemed so obvious that God wanted us to adopt this girl, but all doors were closed to us. And eventually, our dream of adopting her died.

What happened? Did we miss God by allowing the dream to die? Was there some lesson we were supposed to learn that we just weren't getting? Was there even a "why" that needed an answer? That chapter of our lives seems to have been completed, but it ends with a big question mark. And that's a hard thing to live with.

9 comments:

Hbomb said...

Wow! That is quit a story. Don't know what else to say except WOW!

El Goyito said...

That's very interesting. Jan and I have a similar story that we haven't talked about much to others. During our last year in Nicaragua we decided to adopt a girl and began the adoption process with the government. In our case we didn't have a particular girl in mind - only that we both felt it was what God wanted us to do and were very excited. We even told our supporting churches and one supporter (who herself has adopted a Belorussian girl) pledged to pay for our adoption IN FULL. This only reinforced for us that it HAD to be God. So...long, long, long story short...we ended up having to drop the adoption process b/c of having to leave the country under much duress and so here we are in Mexico, still wanting a little girl, but foreigners here cannot adopt. So like you and Kim we're perplexed and just kind of waiting on God.

I felt really good to write this - knowing that someone can understand the pain I've had over this.

Kim's Hotrod said...

Honestly, I'm not upset that we didn't get to adopt her. In fact, relieved would be a better word. I wasn't going into it kicking and screaming, but reluctantly. Adopting a child internationally can be such a challenge. One of the requirements would have been for us to go Ukraine during the process, which would have been about a month or so. Not to mention the money, the logistics, the language barrier combined with her speech problems. However, there seemed to be so much "confirmation" that adoption was inevitable. My attitude was "OK God, I wasn't looking for this, but lead on..." Then all the doors shut.

Was it an emotional response to a cute smile? Was it a test of willingness? Was it just what it was - an opportunity that passed us by? We're conditioned for the "happily ever after" ending, not the "what was that all about" finale.

Melody said...

Wow, what a story. Maybe God was using this little girl to open your heart to the thought of adoption. Maybe somewhere down the line when you least expect it, that same feeling will arise, only the opportunity will truly open up for you to adopt. I don't know, just a thought. I believe God can give us the desire for something and then will bring it to pass - spoken from a woman who desired children and 16 years later got her first of two! Trust God and wait to see what he will do.

Kim's Hotrod said...

I have thought of that possibility, Melody, but my heart was never really closed to the thought of adoption. And I don't feel any different today about adoption than I did before I took this trip.

Now you can see why I'm so confused about that experience. It doesn't make sense, but the final chapter of the book of my life hasn't been revealed to me yet (thankfully). It has been written, but I don't know the plotline.

ded said...

Maybe the test isn't whether or not you were willing, but whether or not you would question.

Speaking of testing, if God knows us better than we do, why would He need to test us anyway? Perhaps (and so I believe), we benefit from the test by learning more about ourselves.

Beautiful story, though. I think you passed the willingness test!

Chip said...

Rodney,
I agree with Melody and David. You passed the willingness test and God may surprise you down the road a bit with something or someone unexpected.
I've always thought that if there was some sort of major upheaval in the world - end times, nightmarish sort of stuff - we who are the church would be taking in needy kids left and right and doing whatever we could. But then there's the here and now of just taking someone into your heart (not neccessarily your home) by befriending a kid or a big kid who needs encouragement and guidance and to know the Lord. In that sence we can all adopt.
Thanks for sharing from your heart, friend.

John F said...

Rodney,

I have discovered that a willing heart is one that God can trust, especially when it is beyond our understanding. Great story Bro.

Kim's Hotrod said...

David wrote:

"Speaking of testing, if God knows us better than we do, why would He need to test us anyway? Perhaps (and so I believe), we benefit from the test by learning more about ourselves."

Once again you cut through to the quick. Where do we come up with ideas like God tests us to find out what we would do? If we truly believed Psalm 139, we would know that God already knows, in fact he already knew. Just another example of the system of thinking (or not thinking, rather) that many of us have succumbed to.

Chip and Johnny, good thoughts from both of you. Thanks.