Sunday, April 22, 2007

What Am I So Scared Of?

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

It's the American Dream. But what happens when reality challenges this ideal? As some of you know, my father has muscular dystrophy. He's had it for a long time now. Thankfully he has a mild form of MD that is a slow progressing disease. The muscles in his feet and hands have slowly atrophied over the past 20 years or so. I've seen a man who used to love to take me fishing turn into someone who has a hard time just opening doors. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm proud of him. He has a good attitude towards it. He fights hard to be as normal as possible. You won't hear him complain about his disease.

MD (at least the type he has) can be passed on to successive generations. I was tested when I was a child to see if I carried the genes that might lead to this. I never saw the results of that test. But I had it in my mind (through conversations with my dad) that I did carry the genes. So for many of my adult years, probably the better part of a decade, I lived with a constant fear that I would see the beginning stages of the disease, although I didn't really know what to look for. There were years when I thought about it every single day. Subsequently, whenever I dropped something or when I had normal muscle fatigue in my hands, my mind immediately started assuming the worst. About a year or so ago, I finally sat down with my parents to ask them what the first symptoms were that he showed. Turns out my fears were unfounded, as the symptoms he described were absolutely nothing that I thought I had. In fact, my father told me that I didn't carry the genes. It was as if a HUGE weight was lifted off my shoulders. My heavy heart jumped for joy and has been free ever since.

Our pastor at church has really challenged my train of thought over the last couple of years. He has actively attacked the notion that pain and suffering are things that the Christian should avoid at all costs. There are those who believe (incorrectly, in my opinion) that God's will for you is that you be healthy and wealthy. And if you're not, that you are missing out on God's rich promises. Without getting in to why I believe this doctrine is erroneous, instead why not consider what suffering should produce? Suffering, and in particular - long suffering, should bring about patience. Patience should bring out kindness. Kindness should bring about love. And love covers a multitude of sins. Pain and suffering also will produce character - good or bad, depending on the sufferer's response to his situation. Some might say, "it's easy for you to say these things, you've not suffered like I have. You have no idea what it's like to wake up in pain everyday, all day." I would say, you're absolutely right. I don't know what it's like. But the question is, will I let pain and suffering turn me into sour pickles, whom no one wants to be around? Or would I try my best to overcome my "woe is me" attitude with one of kindness and one of thankfulness for what I do have?

My father, while not perfect (and who is?), has been a great role model for me in this area. Most kids, at some point in their childhood years, go from wanting to be like their parents (early years) to not wanting to be their parents (teenage years). But sometimes as the children grow older, they realize that mom and dad weren't so terrible after all. And their words really had wisdom even when we "knew better". And we begin to see the positive aspects of their lives. If I ever do develop MD, I hope and pray that I would have the same resolve that my father has to not give in and to never complain. He never manipulates the situation to elicit some type of sympathy for his condition. He's a very good man. Probably better than he realizes.

I gotta bring this to a close, but my mind is a bit scattered this morning so please bear with me. Pain and suffering has produced some of the most Godly people I've ever met (or read about). Jon Courson has an incredible testimony about having lost his wife and daughter and how God has met him. Think about CS Lewis; he certainly was no stranger to pain. But he persevered through it and has influenced generations of believers worldwide. Or maybe some of the saints who attend our local church, who have dealt with setbacks which would have caused others to throw in the towel, yet they continue to be faithful to the body of Christ and they minister by their joy. I find more and more, that these are the kind of people I want to be like. But if I have to endure what they've gone through, do I have the courage to say "Your will and not my own". What am I so scared of?

7 comments:

John F said...

Right on Rodney... If serving God was easy then anyone would do it. Fact is, is that anything in life worth having requires some struggle to attain. Or it just isn't worth that much. Excellent post bro.

Kim's Hotrod said...

JFuller said...
Right on Rodney... If serving God was easy then anyone would do it. Fact is, is that anything in life worth having requires some struggle to attain. Or it just isn't worth that much. Excellent post bro.

Tanks mang.

Terry said...

Hey Rodney...you are doing a good job of taking something that is close to you and using the blog to help you get it out.

I had a similar experience when I thought I might have that type of cancer that Lance Armstrong had.

Spent more than a few sleepless nights and lots of journaling before I made an appointment with the Doctor. I even waited weeks before I even shared my fears with my wife (stupid me).

Turned out to be nothing but I had already begun to put my affairs in order.

Keep on going to the well.

Kevin Thomasson said...

I'm just taking in all the wisdom. Keep up the good posting.

Caroline said...

Please forgive me if I am out of line for posting this. I beg your forgiveness if I am!

"But if I have to endure what they've gone through, do I have the courage to say 'Your will and not my own'. What am I so scared of?"

Good gravy Man ... who isn't scared?? The scared part isn't bad ... not as long as you don't let it debilitate you! I've read alot about having a Warrior Spirit lately ... mostly in regards to Asian Martial Arts ... however I think many of the principles apply when you start equating them to the Warrior Mentality of a Christian in Warfare. One of the best things I've read are the various definitions of courage.

One of my favorites is ... courage isn't NOT being afraid ... courage is doing the right thing ANYWAY.

Ok that's not all deep and zenlike ... BUT ... the principle is still profound. I think in our age of so many man in particular looking to define for themselves what attributes like courage, dedication, honor, committment mean to them it's a very encouraging definition. I don't think the prophets of old or anyone fighting an illness or tribulation is unafraid ALL the time ... it's what comes out of them ANYWAY ... in spite of the fear that defines them.

Fear is our flesh when it forgets for whom we fight. It's not WHO you are unless you let it be. Fear is fleeting unless you embrace it ... pushing past fear is courage ... courage that comes from remembering we are mighty in spirit and who our Father is! The bravest man, the most dedicated Christian has known a moment of fear or a season of fear ... it's what you do with it that counts ... not the fact that you experienced it.

Andrew Jackson said, "One man with courage makes a majority". I love that one.

And one of my favorite scriptures in the Bible comes from when Jesus beckoned to Peter to walk out on the water with Him. "Don't be afraid, just believe."

Bright blessings to you fellow Soldier!

Jan said...

Roooodney!!! Nice to find your blog thru Terry Henry. It's been a long time, hasn't it? What a beautiful family you have. Please give Kim our regards.

You can catch up with us at:

http://suppliants.blogs.com

Stay in touch!

Greg & Jan Millsaps
El Carmen, Mexico

Kim's Hotrod said...

Caroline,
Thanks for the comments. It's a shame I never got to know you while you were in Boone.

Jan & Greg,
Great to hear from you guys as well. I'll be keeping track of you now that I know where to look.